The Tour of Britain Comes to Woodborough, Calverton & Lowdham
Last year witnessed over 200,000 line the streets across Nottinghamshire to welcome 120 of the best elite cyclists in the world. In what was the best supported stage of the Tour, residents, schools and businesses from across the county, brought their communities to life with a fantastic display of colour, noise and fan-fair.
The Tour of Britain returns to Nottinghamshire this September with a stage that starts in the heart of West Bridgford and finishes outside the Civic Centre in Mansfield on Saturday 8th September 2018. We are hoping to bring Stage Seven to life once again, creating the best supported day of the Tour and demonstrating our cultural heritage by winning the newly launched ‘Landart’ competition.
Please help us build the excitement within your community by:
- Decorating the route with flags and bunting
- Creating colourful window displays, yellow is the colour
- Asking your local businesses, community groups and schools to get involved
- Decorate old wheels or bikes to display
- Informing your local media publications and your local parish council magazine of the event
- Sharing details to your local social media platforms and using the #NottsTOB
- Produce creative land or water art viewable from the air for the ToB cameras
- Any other ideas you can think of and generally helping to spread the word
The following link to the route will show you exactly where some of the world’s top cyclists will pass: http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage-seven/
Further information on the event can also be found on the Nottinghamshire County Council website: http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/culture-leisure/sport/ovo-energy-tour-of-britain
Perfect Motion is proud to be assisting Nottinghamshire County Council in raising the profile of Stage 7. We would love to hear all about your plans, so do let us know by emailing Annabelle@perfectmotion.org or calling the office on 0115 9258777 and asking for Annabelle or Julie.
We also have some marketing materials for local distribution and display. Please contact us if you would like some to be sent out to you.
To find out the expected times of arrival at your location click HERE.
CALLING ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS
The Woodborough Web Needs your photographs of the cyclists in the Tour of Britain – Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
The best (taking age into account) will be published, and the editor’s favourite will earn the photographer a bottle of wine (or a crisp £5 note if under 18).
The bikes will be coming by at a fair speed, so make things easier for yourself by choosing a location where they will slow down. The corners at the Nag’s Head and the bottom of Bank Hill would probably be good.
If your camera allows you to alter the sensitivity, set it at a higher ISO so that you’ll be using a higher shutter speed with greater depth of focus.
Also try panning with the subject (rotating your body and camera as the bike passes you to keep it centre-frame) to make the subject sharper. This also produces a blurred background to make the sharp subject stand out (see above).
Try practising before the day for the best results.
Tour of Britain – Best Dressed Competition
To celebrate the arrival of the Tour of Britain in Nottinghamshire and give a warm welcome to the world’s top cyclists, we’d like your help to get our county dressed its very best.
With a global TV audience of millions, the eyes of the world will also be upon us so it’s a fabulous opportunity to showcase our great county has to offer.
So dig out the bunting and flags for your homes and fences, get creative with banners and posters, and let your imaginations soar to new heights with outstanding land art!
We will be giving a very special prize to the best dressed town or village in every district, chosen by an independent panel of judges who will be looking for flare, creativity and going the extra mile to embrace the spirit of the Tour of Britain.
How to enter
Tell us all about your plans and send us your photos using our online form and we will also let the producers know so you could feature on TV if your display is on the route.
Don’t forget to also share photos on social media with #NottsToB
Please make sure you have permission from the owners of any buildings or land you want to decorate. If in doubt, check with your local council.
Come on folks, let’s get geared up for some ‘wheelie’ great displays – good luck!
In need of inspiration? Here are a few ideas
- Decorate the route with flags and bunting
- Create colourful town/village/window displays
- Get your local community group involved – the more the merrier!
- Decorate old wheels or bikes to display
- Create land art in your local space – the bigger the better!
- The theme doesn’t need to be bicycle related, you can showcase your district heritage, landmarks, famous people, anything you are proud of.
- Celebration of industries are also encouraged but commercial advertising will not be counted.
It’s really easy to enter our competition, all you have to do is:
- send us your plans and photos via our online form or
- post your photos on social media using #NottsToB