Autumn is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful seasons of all. Here at Hollybeck, we all certainly agree! The display of colour given by the trees and shrubs at this time is a real treat. It may be getting cooler, and the nights getting darker, but to see those glorious colours? It is definitely worth it.
This month is about planning for the winter months ahead. Our gardens may be approaching their dormant season, but you can still enjoy colour and interest throughout the winter months and bring life into your autumn/winter garden.
There is plenty to be doing in the garden this month, and here are our top October tips;
- Feed your lawns with an autumn and winter lawn enhancer, or an autumn lawn, feed, weed and moss killer treatment
- Cut back herbaceous perennials that have died down
- Divide herbaceous perennials and rhubarb crowns
- Prune climbing roses to an outward facing bud
- Harvest apples, pears, grapes, raspberries and nuts. Why not use your harvest to create a wonderful home baked pie!
- Move tender plants indoors as early frosts may damage them
- Take hardwood cuttings now, Sambucus and Hydrangea are great for cutting.
- Collect fallen leaves and put on your compost heap
- Plant Spring flowering bulbs now
- Scarify and aerate lawns now
- Prepare for frosts and colder weather, ensure you are prepared with fleece and bubble wrap
- Lawn seed can still be applied now
Lawn aeration and scarification is important this month, to ensure you have a healthy lush lawn next year. By removing thatch and moss, you are ensuring better air circulation, seed germination and reducing the chances of fungus and mould developing.
Where possible remove fallen leaves promptly from your lawn. If left they will compact the grass beneath, causing die back, mould, disease and moss.
Plant of the month
Look out this month for new Helleborus varieties. There are masses of new varieties being released every year, and possibly every colour flower you could imagine. Not only do these wonderful plants give colour in shady areas of the garden, their foliage is evergreen! They will provide colour and interest from winter through to the spring. So, certainly a good all rounder for any garden.
Be sure to enjoy the colourful delights that October brings to your garden.
Autumn, Glorious Autumn
We have a fantastic array of colourful autumn and winter shrubs to fill your garden with colour and interest this October. Browse the vast range of evergreen shrubs including Leucothoe, Skimmia, Sarcococca and much more!
Do your baskets need some livening up? Re-plant your hanging baskets and pots with some delightful bedding plants. Why not book on our Winter hanging basket workshop? Taking place on Friday 6th October at 3:30pm. Tea or coffee and a piece of cake is included in the price of £24 per person. You will find out all you need to know about keeping your baskets full of lasting colour, then, get the opportunity to plant up a hanging basket to take home! Ensure to book your place by calling 0115 9655450 or email email@example.com
We have everything you need for a stunning garden this month at Hollybeck. Treat yourself and brighten up your cold October mornings with a delicious hot drink in The Topiary Tearoom. Our exciting new drinks menu will be available from early October.