Summertime Has Started!
The glorious weather is here to stay, or at least we can hope! There is no better time to be out in the garden.
Here are our top tips on what to be doing in the garden this month;
- Keep on top of weeds by hoeing regularly and applying weedkiller
- Pinch outside shoots on tomato plants and bedding plants to promote better growth and flowering (remove flowers too, it sounds harsh but it is worth it)
- Harvest lettuce, radish and other salad veg
- Summer hanging baskets and containers can safely be put outside now
- Plant out summer bedding for instant colour and interest summer long
- Shade greenhouses to keep them cool and protect plants from sun scorch
- Continue to feed the garden with a fertiliser such as growmore or Miracle Grow
- Mow the lawn regularly
- Keep a check on watering as plants will dry out quickly
- Rhododendrons can be pruned lightly after flowering, any hard pruning should wait until the following spring
- Continue to save water this summer by using water saving granules
This month is about getting your garden in shape for the summer months ahead. There is possibly the best choice of bedding plants available at this time of year, with many different colours, textures and varieties to choose from. Get creative and have fun with your baskets and containers, try new colour schemes and experiment with different leaf textures and colours.
Summer bedding is also great for filling in gaps in borders. They will add instant colour to any spot needing some brightening up!
Now is the perfect time to plant climbers. Brighten up those dull fences and walls, add some colour now with a climber or two. There is a huge range to choose from to suit all positions, some of which are evergreen for year round coverage. Do you have an unsightly tree stump that you’ve been considering cutting out? Why not keep it and use it to grow a climber up against?
Crazytunia "Black Mamba"
Plant of The Month
For those looking for a plant with real impact, look no further than Surfinia Crazytunia ‘Black Mamba’. As the name suggests, this lovely new variety of Surfinia has black flowers, which will look spectacular alone, or will really stand out against yellows, limes and bright greens. Look out for this in your local garden centre today!
Also Looking Great This Month
Another new variety to look out for this month is Surfinia ‘Goodnight Kisses’. A stunning burgundy flower edged with cream, this delightful variety will provide excellent interest and colour in any spot. Look out for this new variety in your local garden centre today!
We have a superb selection of summer bedding plants and perennials now in stock to fill your garden with long lasting colour.
We have the last few spaces remaining on our visit to Barnsdale gardens taking place on Monday 26th June at 8:30am £29.99. Explore the legendary garden where BBC Gardeners World began! To secure your place call 0115 9655450 or email us email@example.com Booking is essential.