What a wonderful month it has been so far! Plenty of sunshine and warm weather gets us all in the mood for gardening and spending quality time outdoors. It is not too late to add a splash of colour to your borders and pots. Much of the hard work has already been done, and now is the time to sit back and enjoy your garden. August can be one of the hottest months of the year, so it is essential to keep a check on watering this month.
Here are our top tips on what to be doing in your garden this month;
- Place conservatory plants outside now whilst it is warm
- Ensure tubs and baskets are watered regularly to be sure they do not dry out
- Dead head all flowering bedding plants, perennials and shrubs to promote flowering
- Courgettes can be picked now
- Check for apple scab and treat
- Feed tomato plants regularly now
- Feed lawns with a feed, weed and moss killer to keep your lawn looking lush and healthy. Westland L, F, W and Moss Killer is highly recommended
- Prune June flowering shrubs now such as Philadelphus
- Hedging can be clipped back now, including leylandii
- Remove rose suckers and tree suckers
- Ensure newly planted trees and shrubs do not dry out as they become established
- Keep a look out for garden pests, greenfly and other common pests will be thriving in the humid conditions.
The summer weather creates the perfect environment for fungi and other garden pests to thrive, so remove dead flower heads and dead foliage as soon as possible to prevent mould forming. One of the most common problems at this time of year is slugs and snails. Keep them and other pests at bay with a good control. Many of our garden plants are reaching their peak of performance this month so feed regularly to keep them looking their best. A top up with a liquid feed will work a treat!
Make the most of this glorious weather, why not transform your garden easily by adding some colourful and decorative aggregates. A covering of stone in your borders makes a huge difference and can transform any dull area. If a weed suppressant is laid first, then you will also create a maintenance free patch!
Plant of the Month
Echinacea are looking truly stupendous this month. Look out for the new range of this glorious perennial that come under the ‘Sun Seeker’ range. Choose white, rosy pink, dark pink or apricot. These reliable plants will deliver a stunning display through into autumn. A must for every garden!
Also Looking Good this Month
This one isn’t a showy perennial or a colourful annual, but in fact, it is an understated evergreen shrub. Euonymus ‘Harlequin’ is a delightful, low growing evergreen, which bears marbled variegation and creamy new growth. Amongst other plants in borders, it acts as a colourful counterpart to really make other flowers stand out. On its own, it is bright and colourful in its own right. A perfect option for any sunny, or lightly shaded spot. Look out for this plant in your local garden centre today!
So enjoy your garden this month, and make the most of the summer!
Echinacea ‘Sun Seeker’
Summer is here……..
We have everything you need at Hollybeck to keep your garden looking green and healthy this month!
Lawn greening products now in stock!
We have all been suffering from the recent hot spell especially our lawns, so give them a little pick me up now.
New water conserving products arriving soon! Perfect for holiday watering. Not to be missed.
20% off all seeds!
Plus many more fantastic products and offers in store!
Hollybeck is open 7 days a week
Find us halfway between Oxton and Southwell NG25 0RW Tel 0115 9655450 Email email@example.com Visit www.hollybeck.co.uk