News - Page 7
Coalfields Regeneration Trust Funding for Job Club
In September 2016 The CORE Centre received a £10,000 grant from the Coalfields Regeneration Trust (CRT) to help unemployed people in the community to gain skills and secure jobs. The funding paid for a Job Club Project Manager and IT and Literacy Trainer, a Job Club Careers Adviser and Employability Tutor, and an Employability and Life Skills Trainer. They ran a programme of activities offering training on job search, help with cvs, job applications and interviews, one to one coaching and career and training advice. Over the year, 20 have found jobs, 2 started their own businesses, 15 went into formal training, and 3 took up volunteering. Many of the clients have commented how much they appreciate the help they have received and how much more confident they feel in seeking work.
Several of the younger clients who became volunteers at CORE to gain work experience and new skills have gone on to full employment.
The CRT funding has made a big difference to the lives of the local community making a lasting and positive impact. We are delighted with the outcomes. Although the CRT funding has unfortunately now finished the Job Club at CORE will continue to assist people into work and support the skills and employment issues that still need addressing in Calverton and the surrounding areas.
A Vanished Landmark
During July another small piece of Woodborough history vanished from sight as the New Inn on Shelt Hill was demolished, together with its adjoining overgrown orchard.
Sadly the building had been left unoccupied for some twenty years and the whole site was sold with permission to build one dwelling on the one acre site
The orchard had become home to many rabbits and pheasants but proved unable to cope with a bulldozer. A large and overgrown apple tree near the road fell over at the first nudge and the other trees provided a grand bonfire.
The New Inn was operative from about 1853, firstly as a beer house but by 1872 boasted eight rooms, four being open to the public. In addition there was stabling for four horses. Possibly it was built in the hope of trade from the farm workers in a terrace of cottages further along Shelt Hill and framework knitters in the small factory further down the hill. Sadly however ther competition from nearby Nags Head and several other pubs along Main Street meant that sales fell to a low level.
In 1926 the police objected to a renewal of its licence because the building was in poor condition and sales of only 18 gallons of beer weekly were insufficient to meet the overheads. The licensee, Henry Maltby, had to work in the adjacent market garden to make a living.
To learn more about the eight pubs and beerhouses in Woodborough during the last century look at the Woodborough-heritage.org.uk website. In the mean time watch the site for a new and different building!