News – Page 12

Woodborough Parish Council

The most recent minutes available from parish council meetings are shown below. Please note that the delay between meetings and publishing of minutes is due to the requirement to approve them at the following council meeting.

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Tuesday 9th January 2018 at 7pm The Village Hall, Lingwood Lane, Woodborough, Nottingham

PRESENT: Cllr John Charles-Jones (Acting Chairman), Cllr Paul Berrisford, Cllr Margaret Briggs, Cllr Patrick Smith, Cllr Jan Turton, Cllr Charles Wardle.

IN ATTENDANCE: Averil Marczak (Clerk).


Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr Andrew Gough, Cllr John Boot, Cllr Colin Starke, Cllr Jane Stone, Cllr Pat Woodfield, Cllr Helen Greensmith (GBC) and Cllr Boyd Elliott (NCC).



The minutes of the meeting held on 12th December were approved.


The chairman thanked Tom Wiles for his work in analysing the Sam Middup Field questionnaires. Following major investments made in land and play equipment in 2016 and 2017, he cautioned against being blasé about expenditure as the PC prepared its 2018/19 budget. He noted that the new fire alarm at the Village Hall and the new play equipment carried significant ongoing charges for monitoring and inspection.


It was agreed to chase Cllr Elliott for action on white lining at the Lowdham Lane junction and resurfacing of Main Street into Foxwood Lane. The Christmas tree in the Governors’ Field had been a success and it was agreed to thank Cllr Elliott and ask whether he would be able to supply a tree in 2018. It was noted that the tree had been removed by GBC’s tree services as a matter of urgency during stormy weather and a deeper hole for the tree was recommended in future. It was agreed to ask GBC to replace the broken Smalls Croft sign.

3316. SAM MIDDUP FIELD The Clerk presented preliminary results from the questionnaire. 182 households (circa 23{98327b781480677abea0c529d7eae6e18c8bef3a9eb860c4c5eaaad7876dce63}), comprising 383 people, had responded. Only 20 responses had been received from 11-19 year olds. It was agreed that the data should be circulated to all members for unhurried consideration and discussion at a later meeting. It was agreed also to consider (i) whether a follow up should be delivered to non-respondents (ii) how to gather the views of the 11-19 year olds in the village.

3317. HAGS INVOICES The Clerk had forwarded copy correspondence to HAGS as justification for the discount requested and awaited a response.

3318. APPLICATION TO NCC LOCAL IMPROVEMENT SCHEME It was agreed to apply for a grant from NCC’s LIS to fund a small array of play equipment in the corner of the playing field. It was noted that the deadline for applications had been extended and 671 the requirement for 50{98327b781480677abea0c529d7eae6e18c8bef3a9eb860c4c5eaaad7876dce63} match funding had been removed. Letters of support had been received from the Woods School and the Preschool.

3319. REPLACEMENT BENCHES It was agreed that the Roe Hill bench should be replaced but that the bench on Lingwood Lane would not be reinstated or replaced unless significant demand presented itself. Cllr Charles-Jones had obtained an estimate of £300 to refurbish the bench formerly on Lingwood Lane for use on Roe Hill; his preference was to scrap the old bench and replace with a recycled product at a cost of £360. Votes for each option were equally split but, noting the number of members absent due to ill health, the chairman opted not to use a casting vote but to defer the matter until February’s meeting.

3320. PLANNING There was no objection to PC 1023, GBC 2017/1568 for a rear single storey extension at 140 Main Street.

3321. BUDGETS It was agreed to discuss budgets at an Extraordinary Meeting to be held on January 23rd . It was agreed in principle that all fees charged by the PC should remain the same, with the exception of cemetery fees charged to non-residents. Cllr Smith urged members to put together a 3 year budget with outline projects and their costs in place for years 2 and 3.

3322. ALLOTMENT FEES It was agreed that allotment fees for 2019/20 should be held at £32.

3323. LENGTHSMAN’S REPORT The Lengthsman had compiled a report of his activities and findings. The amount of litter collected was decreasing due to regular litter picking. Protruding nails appeared to have been hammered into the footbridge by the playing field as an act of vandalism. They had been removed, but concern was expressed at the harm which could have been caused to walkers and dogs.

3324. CORRESPONDENCE & EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION A further email had been received regarding speeding on Shelt Hill, requesting Speedwatch monitoring. The Clerk had advised that Speedwatch was currently inactive due to insufficient volunteers, and recommended that the concerned resident made a request for speed monitoring to NCC. GBC had advised that the PC might receive £824.41 CIL money after April 2018. The following items had been received from NALC: new year letter from the chairman; diversity survey; update on GDPR; update on Local Government Finance Settlement. The following items were noted: Paddy Tipping’s “The Beat” newsletter; GBC, various agendas and press releases.

3325. GREENWOOD TREE PLANTING The PC’s application for a tree for the Governors’ Field had been successful. It was agreed that Cllrs Starke, Charles-Jones and Briggs should meet to decide the location.

3326. OTHER UPDATES The Sycke Beck was partially blocked by a collapsed wall, built recently prior to a property being marketed. Cllr Briggs reported that the homeowner had committed to removing the rubble over the next two weeks. Playing Field: the Football Club had been unable to play the last two scheduled matches due to the pitch being frozen and then waterlogged. Cemetery: GBC had started the agreed works to tidy up the cemetery. It was agreed to sell an Exclusive Right of Burial for one grave to a non resident.

3327. INTERNAL AUDITOR It was agreed to appoint Andy Hodges as Internal Auditor.

3328. FINANCE The Clerk presented the financial statement and 17 payments, totalling £3,889.42 net, were approved for payment. A direct debit form for BT was authorised by Cllrs Wardle and CharlesJones.

3329. MEETING DATES 2018 Dates were agreed.

3330. NEWSLETTER It was agreed to publish the December minutes and the revised date for the GREAT quiz (March 10th).

3331. AOB (FOR INFORMATION ONLY) Cllr Smith reported that a resident had raised concerns with EMAS regarding access to the defibrillators. EMAS’s response had not eased the concerns, and the resident would now raise with the local medical committee.

3332. DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING The date of the next PC meeting was confirmed as 23rd January 2018 at 7pm.

The meeting finished at 9.20pm.

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Tuesday 23rd January 2018 at 7pm The Village Hall, Lingwood Lane, Woodborough, Nottingham

PRESENT: Cllr Andrew Gough, Cllr Margaret Briggs, Cllr John Charles-Jones, Cllr Patrick Smith, Cllr Colin Starke, Cllr Jane Stone, Cllr Pat Woodfield, Cllr Charles Wardle (part).

IN ATTENDANCE: Averil Marczak (Clerk).

3333. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND ACCEPTANCE Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr Paul Berrisford, Cllr John Boot and Cllr Jan Turton.


3335. MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL The minutes of the meeting held on 9 th January were approved.

3336. MATTERS ARISING It was noted that the blockage in the beck had been cleared and the tree funded by the Greenwood grant had been planted in the Governors’ Field

3337. PLANNING PC ref 1012, GBC 2017/0936TPO revised, for the additional felling of an Atlas Cedar at 32 Main Street: NCC’s Forestry Officer was satisfied with this recommendation and it was agreed to make no objection. Cllr Wardle arrived.

3338. INTERNAL AUDIT PROGRAMME The list of tests was reviewed and it was agreed to add controls regarding pension documentation, the requirements of GDPR and noting likely requirements for years +2 and +3 when setting budgets. It was further agreed that the Clerk should add the additional requirements from NALC’s latest template to ensure that the PC’s approach was comprehensive.

3339. RISK ASSESSMENT The risk assessment was reviewed and the following points added: risk management; review accident book; consider outline plan for budget years +2 and +3 when setting precept.

3340. INTERNAL AUDIT REPORT 2017 It was noted that an alternative provision for backing up files was now in place. It was agreed to consider insurance values for the buildings at February’s meeting.

3341. 2018/19 BUDGETS The expenditure budget totalling £89,947 was agreed as per the circulated draft. Key projects for 2018/19: Village Hall, internal and external decoration (£7000) and new curtains (£3000). It was agreed to levy a precept of £70,283 (+3.9{98327b781480677abea0c529d7eae6e18c8bef3a9eb860c4c5eaaad7876dce63} overall, +3.1{98327b781480677abea0c529d7eae6e18c8bef3a9eb860c4c5eaaad7876dce63} on household council tax bills). 674

3342. CEMETERY FEES FOR NON-RESIDENTS It was agreed to raise cemetery fees to five times the resident rates: single grave £1750; interment £1750; burial of ashes £250; erect headstone £375.

3343. AOB (FOR INFORMATION ONLY) The Clerk and Cllr Stone had spoken with a resident who raised issues about the state and width of the pavement and verge at the junction of Main Street and Park Avenue. Cllr Elliott had forwarded queries to relevant personnel at Via EM.

3344. DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING The date of the next PC meeting was confirmed as 13th February 2018 at 7pm. The meeting finished at 8.20pm

The next meeting of Woodborough Parish Council will take place at 7.00pm on March 13th in Woodborough Village Hall.

Extraordinary Meeting of Woodborough Parish Council

9.30am 1st March at the Village Hall

An Extraordinary Meeting of the Parish Council has been called at the unusual time of 9.30am to consider a supplier payment.
View the agenda here.

Woodborough Action Group

Supporting conservation, sensitive development and protecting the Green Belt

Gedling Borough Council’s consultation on the proposed modifications to the Local Planning Document is open for comments until March 26th. All replies you make will be forwarded to the Inspector who will then issue her report, concluding whether the Local Planning Document has been found to be sound. If this is the case, then it will go to our Borough Council for adoption.

If you made comments at the earlier stages of this long process you will probably have received an invitation by email or letter to take part again. The key question is what effect do the modifications have for our village? Having waded through the paperwork it would appear that very little has been amended, as expected, in terms of the basic proposals for housing development in Woodborough. The two sites allocated remain Ash Grove, where construction has started, and a second site with access off the north side of Broad Close. Development here can only start when the Local Plan is adopted, detailed plans submitted, and approval gained. While 15 dwellings are mentioned in the documents these are approximate numbers and higher numbers may be granted approval if suitable. The planning process will allow for local representations to be made when any application is made.

If you have no issues with this, then there is no need for you to reply to the consultation. It must be emphasised however that within the detail of the modifications there are many references to changes in the current guidance that will affect future planning proposals in and around our village.  These cover for example topics such as the density of housing, the provision of affordable housing, the status of waste and mineral plans, suitability of areas for wind turbines, changes in the designation of Mature Landscapes, guidance on the treatment of Local Green Spaces (Taylors Croft and Governor’s Field), heritage assets (listed buildings) and the policy on self-build and custom homes. The list goes on! The details are all available from the Gedling Borough website and a printed version of the amendments, which are the subject of the consultation, are available in our Village Hall.

The Action Group will continue to monitor the process until the plans are finally adopted.

Patrick Smith