Parkinson’s Support Group
Carol’s Over the Rainbow Cake
Hurrah! Things are looking up for group members as the Covid restrictions are beginning to be lifted. Janet, one of the groups founding members, has finally had her operation so we are all praying it leads to good news soon. Michael has begun a course of rehabilitation physiotherapy at the City hospital. Other members are reporting that they are receiving dates for face to face appointments at clinics and hospitals.
We are blessed that Danny and Lorraine, both working in front line jobs, have managed to stay safe so far. They are the group’s youngest members and both work full time. Carol is a very talented sugar craft artist but is a novice at painting. She has been invited to join fellow member Christine’s art group as soon as it is allowed to resume. The picture shows one of the beautiful cakes crafted for OtR’s birthday.
If you would like to know more about this friendly independent group contact Michael & Sandra on 01636 812399 or email Overtherainbowuk@gmail.com.
We usually meet from 11.00 – 1.00 on the 2nd Saturday of the month at Reach UK, Prebend Passage, Southwell NG25 0JH. Just £1 per person and a plate of food towards the buffet lunch. Roll on being able to resume!!!!!
Extending Cover during COVID 19
Many of you already know The CORE Centre, but for those who don’t, CORE is a registered charity based in the community of Calverton. Since lockdown we have manned the office weekdays between 9.00 am and 1.00 pm to answer phone calls (Tel 0115 8470551) and deal with emails (firstname.lastname@example.org). We have an answer phone for when we are not here and will respond quickly. The following are some practises that we have developed over the period of the lockdown:-
- We work in conjunction with other volunteers who have offered to do shopping and other essential tasks and can put people in touch with these helpers.
- We are registered on the Gedling Borough and Nottinghamshire County Council websites as help for residents, social workers etc.
- We offer urgent direct help to solve problems if other services are not available eg to collect, deliver prescriptions.
- We offer a chat line to anyone who needs a phone call or is anxious and lonely. From 1 June we extended this service to a (2 metre) door step chat to anyone who would like face to face contact.
- We hold NHS hearing aid batteries and people can collect from 17 St Wilfrid’s Square or we can deliver if people are unable to get out. Ring and make sure we have what you need.
- For those suffering job loss, our Job Club team operated remotely online and with a dedicated telephone line for help with CVs, careers advice, interview preparation, well-being and anxiety coaching, etc. at the beginning of lockdown. CORE Job Club is run by a team of three people, accredited, skilled and experienced in these fields who have achieved excellent success rates for finding people employment. Job Club one-to-one restarted on Monday, 13 July. We expect this service to be vital in the coming weeks and months. Tel 0748419982; email email@example.com
- We held a pop up chat room outside our premises for up to 6 people sitting in a socially distances circle during June. We are under cover if raining! We would like to hear about people’s experiences during lockdown and have a bit of fun. Phone us to find out when the next one will be.
- Sign up for a seated yoga session, again outside our premises for up to 6 at a time.
- We can help people to use Zoom or Skype if they want to see friends and family on screen.
We have re-opened our photocopying services and access to computer and printing facilities.
Please contact us if you require any of these or other services we haven’t mentioned.
The CORE Centre
17 St Wilfred’s Square, Calverton, Nottingham NG14 6FP
Tel 0115 8470551 www.calvertoncore.org.uk
Want to know more about the CORE Centre?
Click below to watch our video from Woodborough Video